This taco is a little more authentic than the tex-mex taco you are probably used to eating, but you should really give it a go. It is so light and fresh-tasting! I came across the recipe at Eat, Run, Live and edited it a little bit. She didn’t have measurements for the spices, so I added the measurements that I used. This is a great recipe for busy weekdays because it is so simple and easy.
To start, you will need one pound of chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat and add the chicken. Cook in for about eight minutes, or until it is cooked through. Personally, I LOVE my cast iron skillet.
Once chicken is cooked through, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder. Stir until the chicken pieces are completely coated.
In another skillet over medium heat, heat some corn tortillas one at a time. Alternatively, you can place the tortillas on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for approximately a minute until very hot. However you heat them, just be sure they are very hot or they will break and spill all your filling while you are trying to eat them.
Fill your warmed tortillas with some chopped cilantro, thinly sliced radishes, crumbled queso fresco cheese and a squeeze of lime. I didn’t have any fresh limes, so I just used lime juice.
You can add sour cream, salsa, and any other toppings you want as well. Chow down!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 small bunch radishes, sliced thin
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- 4 oz queso fresco cheese (use feta if you can’t find it)
- 2 limes
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 1 T canola oil
- Heat the oil over medium high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook for about eight minutes, or until chicken has cooked through. Season with salt, chili powder, cumin garlic powder and onion powder.
- Heat another skillet and add the corn tortillas, one by one, to warm up. Alternatively, you can place the tortillas on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for approximately a minute until very hot.
- Once warm, fill tortillas with a little chicken, some chopped cilantro, sliced radishes, a little cheese and a big squeeze of lime. Serve with additional toppings and salsa if desired.